Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Scale - "Friend or Foe"?



After getting on the scale this morning that shows me weight, body fat and percentage of water, I pondered the idea of daily weigh in again to keep myself on track. Seems as though when I go days, or sometimes months avoiding that crazy little silver thing that sits in the corner of my bathroom I wonder if looking in the mirror at my body isn't enough to tell me - - but it isn't - - the mirror can't give you a number... And for all you BLUE people - data centric crazies - - you NEED a number to motivate you. I guess I should know that being a racer / runner and needing the clock and timing for each run to get me ready for a marathon.

BUT the scale can make or break my mood and I REALLY don't like it. Looking in the mirror should be enough. I feel good about me today - - that is important. Take the scale for what it is worth - use it as a motivator not a menace to your mind. It will help us beat the percentage of the population that are obese. A new program focus in the EI - with the new "Choose to Change" program centered around the NuPA trials that my friend Heather managed these past 3 years or more. Stay tuned and keep your ears open for what ACS is doing about it.

I am glad that we are all on track and have the minds to look within ourselves to motivate for a better YOU - a healthier YOU.
So get on the scale - make it a habit - get on track. Stay motivated.

Here is a great article from Good Housekeeping comparing body fat scales (remember weight is comprised of fat and muscle and water!)...
An excerpt of the article below:

Will your body be less fatty next year than it is right now? If you'd actually like to answer that question, check out the new scales that measure not only your weight but the percentage of fat in your body composition. We tested seven scales and compared their results with those of the Bod Pod, a $32,000 machine that's the medical benchmark. All seven overestimated body fat -- but they came a lot closer than the caliper method (favored by many health clubs), which was off by 50 percent. "These scales, even pricey ones, aren't absolutely accurate," says GH Institute Technical Director John Kupsch. "But they can track whether your body fat is fluctuating over time.


I have a Tanita and currently am using a HoMedics scale that measures water percentage as well (So I don't dehydrate - as one must be at least 50% water!) ... ask Judy (no more ER visits for me!).

Go Ruffle Boo - let's get it down!
Cheers to you all for making the decision to get it done!

Thoughts? Post your comments below....

No comments: