Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Musical Motivation


Last night, I ran the farthest I've ever run in my entire life (without stopping or walking). Hell, I don't even think I've ever even walked that far (discounting Relay For Life events, of course). 4.5 miles. That's right - I jogged 4.5 miles last night. No, I'm no Nancy Cook....but I'm getting there.

To what do I credit my accomplishment? For starters, Nancy and Judy have been telling me for months that my shoes are important. It's very important to have the right shoes. Nancy sent me a link to a website. I checked it out, found out what kind of foot I have (didn't realize that mattered, but apparently, it does). My height, weight were all taken into consideration. I took that information and went to a running/shoe store here. No, not Payless. It's a locally owned store that is owned and operated by runners. What better place, right? They fit me into at least 20 pairs of shoes, and I finally found the right ones.

I strapped those puppies on and took off. The last couple of weeks, I've been breaking them in - On Friday, I hit 3 miles for the first time. And last night, I hit 4.5. Wow!

But - it aint just the shoes. Another vital ingredient is my musical motivation. And while running, I thought of writing this blog with this idea in mind (you have a lot of time to think when you're running). I want to know from each of you - When you are exercising/working out/running - and you are getting a bit fatigued - what is your trusty "old reliable" song that always gives you the motivation to keep going? You know what song I'm talking about. The song that when you need it most, you skip ahead to it and it's like Popeye eating his spinach. I want to know - WHAT IS THAT SONG? And which artist?

5 comments:

Judy said...

Running? Jeff that is great and the right shoes will make all the difference. Now you will have to meet Nancy and I at the next BU Meeting for our morning jog/chat!! No excuses! Favorite song? That changes but one that I have really liked for a while now is "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstall. When it comes on while I am running it always makes me pick up the pace.

Stingray said...

I will definitely be meeting you for the morning run. Not sure how far yall go - but I just might be able to keep up by then. I've got a few months to keep training.

Judy said...

We don't usually have that much time.. maybe 30-45 minutes and we just go at a comfortable pace so we can chat and run. Nancy makes fun of me because I need 45 minutes to get ready..it takes more work as you get older! Anyway you should be good!

Nancy E said...

Yeah Jeff! Way to go! I am so glad you have a shoe that works and the running is becoming part of your life. My "power song" as I like to call it varies on the run - but my playlist of late gets me going - "Hard to Believe" by VOTA is the song - it rocks! I try to discover new music and play it on my runs to decide whether I like it or not - it really is my "me" time (focused) although Oakley gets to go! :)

Stingray said...

Ha - Judy - as long as you are downstairs on time, that's fine. Nancy, I will check out that song. I have a question - does Oakley run on a leash, or free range?